In the podcast Preston Pysh converses with Jesse Shrader, a Bitcoin Lightning Network expert. The discussion revolves around the Lightning Network, its potential, and its comparison with the traditional financial system. Jesse Shrader shares his insights on the development of Amboss, a platform designed to optimize the Lightning Network, and the creation of a new yield curve that shows participants what they could earn by opening liquidity channels with other nodes.
- Jesse Shrader’s Journey: Jesse’s background in class action lawsuits against big banks influenced his perspective on Bitcoin and led him to delve into Layer 2 Lightning Bitcoin.
- Amboss Development: Jesse and his team designed Amboss to optimize the Lightning Network. They aimed to address the issue of inbound liquidity, which was a potential barrier to Lightning adoption.
- Comparison with Traditional Finance: Jesse compared the Lightning Network with the legacy financial system, highlighting the inefficiencies of the latter. He pointed out that traditional payment processors like Visa and MasterCard use outdated technology and charge high transaction fees.
- Magma Liquidity Market: Jesse introduced the Magma liquidity market, a marketplace for people to open channels for individuals and companies wanting inbound capacity liquidity. This marketplace allows Bitcoin holders to earn yield from their Bitcoin without having to trust any other party.
- LINER (Lightning Network Rate): Jesse discussed the concept of LINER, a dual index that includes the cost for a merchant to set up with liquidity and the yield that people can earn by providing liquidity to the Lightning Network.
- Enterprise Adoption: Jesse expressed excitement about the potential for enterprise adoption of the Lightning Network. He believes that markets can form around Lightning, allowing Bitcoin holders to earn yield at very low risk.
- Bullish: Jesse’s sentiment towards the Lightning Network and Bitcoin was bullish. He emphasized the potential of the Lightning Network to revolutionize the financial system by providing a more efficient, cost-effective payment solution. He also highlighted the opportunity for Bitcoin holders to earn yield from their holdings without having to trust any other party.
- Bearish: No bearish sentiments were expressed in the podcast.
- Neutral: Jesse acknowledged that it’s still early days for the Lightning Network, and there are challenges to overcome, such as the issue of inbound liquidity. However, he remains optimistic about the network’s potential and the solutions being developed to address these challenges.