The podcast features Jesse Pollak, the senior director of engineering for retail products at Coinbase. Jesse discusses the development of Base, Coinbase’s Layer 2 protocol, and its potential to kickstart a “Layer 2 Summer”. The conversation also covers the public perception of Base, its significance, and the role it plays in trailblazing for the entire industry. Jesse also talks about the importance of contributing fees to public goods and the future of Layer 2.
- Base’s Role: Base is Coinbase’s Layer 2 protocol that is trailblazing the future of Layer 2s. It is designed to be independent of its centralized parent, Coinbase, and to foster innovation.
- Public Perception of Base: Base is perceived as a significant development in the crypto space. It is seen as a big deal because it invests in decentralization and is trailblazing for the entire industry.
- Layer 2 Summer: Jesse predicts a “Layer 2 Summer” where the infrastructure for Layer 2 is ready, and the apps and builders are here. He believes this will bring the next million, then 10 million, and 100 million users to Layer 2.
- Contributing Fees to Public Goods: Jesse discusses how contributing fees to public goods can legitimize crypto to the public. When crypto can start funding systems and public infrastructure that no other system has, it becomes extremely favorable.
- Mainnet Launch: Base opened up mainnet for builders first to focus on them before opening it up for everyone. The full mainnet for users is expected to open in early August.
- Bullish: The sentiment in the podcast is bullish. Jesse is optimistic about the future of Base and the potential for a “Layer 2 Summer”. He believes that the infrastructure is ready, and the apps and builders are here, which will bring in more users.
- Bearish: There is no bearish sentiment expressed in the podcast.
- Neutral: The podcast maintains a neutral stance when discussing the challenges ahead, including the need for more developers in the space and the ongoing conversation between Coinbase and the SEC.