In this episode of Bankless, the hosts interview Sam Altman and Alex Blania, co-founders of Worldcoin. Worldcoin is a highly ambitious crypto project that aims to create a unique verifiable humanness through human biometrics, specifically eye scans. The co-founders discuss the inception of Worldcoin, the technology behind the orb that scans users’ eyes, privacy concerns, and the project’s roadmap.
- Inception of Worldcoin: The idea for Worldcoin was born out of a desire to create a unique verifiable humanness that maps to our unique DNA, leading to the development of an orb that scans users’ eyes.
- Technology Behind the Orb: The orb uses advanced technology to scan users’ eyes, providing a robust way to achieve sybil resistance. The data flows are designed to ensure privacy and security.
- Worldcoin & Privacy: Despite initial backlash due to privacy concerns, the team emphasizes that the orb uses zero-knowledge cryptography to separate identity from the app, ensuring user privacy.
- Worldcoin’s Distribution Plan: The protocol pays operators of the orb for every sign-up they facilitate. The orb itself is part of an affiliate program with various incentive mechanisms to encourage its operation and distribution.
- Worldcoin’s Roadmap: The project is in its early stages, with the team planning to make the orb a commercial product that can be built by anyone who desires to participate. The goal is to decentralize the process over the next decade.
- Bullish: The co-founders express optimism about the project’s progress and the potential of the orb technology. They also note the increasing enthusiasm and open-mindedness within the crypto community towards Worldcoin.
- Bearish: There are concerns about privacy and the acceptance of the orb technology. The initial backlash to Worldcoin was significant, with many in the crypto community expressing skepticism and distrust.
- Neutral: The co-founders acknowledge the challenges ahead, including the need for further technical progress, international regulatory agreements, and measures to prevent misuse of the technology.