In this episode Scott Melker sits down with Paolo Ardoino, CTO of Tether. They discuss Tether’s massive Bitcoin investment, its commitment to transparency, and its role in the crypto market. Ardoino sheds light on Tether’s efforts to educate regulators, the role of stablecoins in the market, and the impact of the crypto market reopening in China/Hong Kong.
- Tether’s Role and Investment: Tether has a significant role in the crypto market, with a massive investment in Bitcoin. It’s not just a stablecoin but also a tool for settlement and payment.
- Regulatory Engagement: Tether is actively engaging with regulators worldwide, educating them about their operations and the benefits of stablecoins. They are not competing with the US and European banking industry but creating more value for the US dollar.
- Tether’s Reserves: Tether maintains a 1:1 reserve ratio with its issued tokens. It also keeps its profits within the company, providing additional stability to its stablecoins.
- Bitcoin Purchase: Tether decided to buy Bitcoin with a portion of its excess reserves as a hedge against global instability. They believe Bitcoin is the most liquid asset in the crypto industry.
- Market Dynamics: The reopening of the crypto market in China/Hong Kong is seen as a significant event. Tether thrives in markets where traditional banking infrastructure is poor or non-existent.
- Bullish: Tether’s decision to buy Bitcoin indicates a bullish sentiment towards Bitcoin. They believe in its liquidity and see it as a good hedge against global instability.
- Neutral: The discussion about regulatory engagement and educating regulators shows a neutral sentiment. Tether is actively working to comply with regulations and educate regulators about their operations and the benefits of stablecoins.
- Bearish: No bearish sentiment was expressed in the podcast.