In this episode Hasu, a Strategic Advisor for Lido DAO, shares his insights on the current state of Liquid Staking Derivatives (LSDs), Lido Protocol’s history and decentralization efforts, LSD winner-take-all market structure, and co-opetition & restaking risks. The conversation delves into the evolution of LSD market structure, the current state of the Lido Protocol, and the potential for Lido to become the dominant player in the market.
- The State of Liquid Staking: Hasu discusses the current state of liquid staking, emphasizing its potential to become a winner-take-all market due to network effects and returns to scale.
- The History and Evolution of Lido: Hasu provides a detailed account of Lido’s history and its ongoing decentralization efforts. He highlights the importance of limiting the surface area of what the DAO does and ossifying core parts of the protocol.
- Lido as the Potential Winner: The discussion explores the possibility of Lido becoming the dominant player in the liquid staking market. Hasu argues that the market could be drastically underestimated and that Lido’s approach to limiting itself and focusing on core functions could be a significant advantage.
- Restaking and Co-opetition: Hasu expresses skepticism about the demand for restaking, citing the lack of node operators willing to run hardware for various chains. However, he acknowledges the potential for co-opetition between Lido and other providers like Eigenlayer.
- Bullish: The sentiment throughout the podcast is largely bullish, particularly regarding the potential of Lido to dominate the liquid staking market. Hasu’s belief in the winner-take-all nature of the market and Lido’s strategic approach to decentralization contribute to this sentiment.
- Bearish: There is some bearish sentiment regarding the demand for restaking. Hasu expresses doubt about the viability of restaking due to a lack of node operators willing to support it.
- Neutral: The podcast maintains a neutral stance when discussing the broader implications of liquid staking and the potential challenges facing the industry.