The podcast discusses the recent court verdict in favor of Ripple and its implications for the crypto industry. The podcast features a discussion with Securities law professor J.W. Verret and covers topics such as the re-listing of XRP by Coinbase, the ongoing lawsuit between Coinbase and the SEC, the potential for the SEC to settle the case, and the future of crypto legislation.
- XRP Court Verdict: The court’s ruling in favor of Ripple is seen as a significant development in the crypto space. However, the verdict could still be modified on appeal, potentially in Ripple’s favor or against it.
- Coinbase Re-listing XRP: The re-listing of XRP by Coinbase following the court verdict is seen as a positive move, but it also carries risks, especially if the SEC decides to appeal the verdict.
- Coinbase vs. SEC: The ongoing lawsuit between Coinbase and the SEC is considered a significant event in the crypto space. The outcome could have far-reaching implications for other cryptocurrencies.
- Will the SEC Settle?: There is speculation that the SEC might settle the case due to the potential negative impact on its institutional interests. However, this is still uncertain.
- Appellate Court: The case could go either way on appeal. It could be modified in some way, potentially in Ripple’s favor or against it.
- New SEC Chair: The new SEC chair could potentially settle the cases and clean up the situation, regardless of their political affiliation.
- Unregistered Securities: The case brings up the issue of unregistered securities in the crypto space, which is a significant concern for regulators.
- Major Questions Doctrine: The Major Questions Doctrine, which exploded with West Virginia vs. EPA, has not yet been decided in the Ripple case. However, it is seen as the strongest argument for Coinbase, Binance, and Ripple on appeal.
- Crypto Legislation: Current crypto legislation is seen as unlikely to pass in the next two years due to political dynamics. However, engagement with the legislative process is still seen as important for the long-term future of crypto.
- Spot Bitcoin ETF: The chances of a Bitcoin ETF being approved by the end of the year are estimated at around 40%.
- Bullish: The podcast expresses a bullish sentiment towards the court’s ruling in favor of Ripple and the re-listing of XRP by Coinbase. The potential for the SEC to settle the case is also seen as a positive development.
- Bearish: The podcast expresses a bearish sentiment towards the ongoing lawsuit between Coinbase and the SEC, the potential for the court’s ruling to be modified on appeal, and the current political dynamics that make it unlikely for crypto legislation to pass in the next two years.
- Neutral: The podcast expresses a neutral sentiment towards the new SEC chair and the Major Questions Doctrine. These are seen as potentially significant factors in the future of crypto, but their impact is still uncertain.