In this episode Alex interviews Tim Grant, Galaxy’s Head of EMEA, about the state of crypto adoption and regulation in international markets. The conversation covers a range of topics, including the regulatory environments in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, the role of banks in crypto, and the future of crypto in these regions.
- UK’s Progressive Stance: The UK is taking a progressive stance towards crypto, with the FCA providing clear guidelines and encouraging innovation in the space. The UK is aiming to foster a grassroots movement from universities that produces talent and allows crypto to become a significant industry in the country.
- Europe’s MICA Regulation: The Markets in Crypto Assets (MICA) regulation in Europe is seen as a positive step, providing a clear regulatory framework for crypto assets and fostering innovation.
- Middle East’s Growing Interest: The Middle East, particularly Abu Dhabi and Dubai, is showing growing interest in crypto. They are attracting businesses with favorable regulatory jurisdictions and are also investing in Bitcoin mining due to their abundant solar energy.
- Hong Kong’s Shift in Attitude: Hong Kong has seen a shift in attitude towards crypto, with new registration mechanisms making it more attractive for crypto businesses. There are also indications that banks like Standard Chartered and HSBC are being encouraged to bank crypto companies.
- Bullish Sentiment: The podcast expresses a bullish sentiment towards the future of crypto, particularly in the UK, Europe, Middle East, and Hong Kong. The regulatory progress and growing interest in these regions are seen as positive signs for the industry.
- Neutral Sentiment: There is a neutral sentiment towards the US. The podcast acknowledges the challenges posed by the current regulatory environment in the US but does not express a bearish outlook.
- Bearish Sentiment: No bearish sentiment was expressed in the podcast.