This report provides a comprehensive overview of the top 10 cryptocurrency news in Asia from September 4th to September 10th. The news covers a range of topics including regulatory changes, technological advancements, and strategic partnerships in the crypto space across various Asian countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, and Uzbekistan.
Singapore’s Stance on Cryptocurrencies
- New President’s View: Tharman Shanmugaratnam, the newly appointed President of Singapore, characterized cryptocurrencies as purely speculative and somewhat eccentric. His stance may influence future policies.
- No ‘Cryptocurrency Sandbox’: The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) clarified that there is no ‘cryptocurrency sandbox’ in Singapore, and licenses are only granted to cryptocurrency participants who have robust controls.
- DCS Deploys Payment Token: Singaporean financial institution DCS Card Centre announced the launch of their payment token, DCS Tokens (DUS), on the PlatON network.
Hong Kong’s Web 3.0 Developments
- Policy Recommendations: The Hong Kong Web 3.0 Association proposed four recommendations to promote Hong Kong as a hub for Real World Assets (RWA).
- Exploitation of Web3 Development: Hong Kong Legislative Council member, Chiu Duncan, highlighted the misuse of the government’s push for Web3 development for illegal activities.
South Korea’s Crypto Regulations and Partnerships
- Tracking North Korean Cryptocurrencies: The South Korean government is drafting legislation aimed at tracking and freezing cryptocurrency and virtual assets used by North Korea for illegal weapons programs.
- Mirae Asset Securities Partners with Polygon Labs: South Korean financial giant Mirae Asset Securities is collaborating with Polygon Labs to support the development of tokenized securities networks.
- Monitor Regulatory Changes: Stakeholders should keep an eye on regulatory changes in Asian countries, as these can significantly impact the crypto market.
- Investigate the Potential of Web 3.0: With Hong Kong’s push for Web 3.0 development, there may be opportunities for businesses to leverage this technology.
- Consider Partnerships: The partnership between Mirae Asset Securities and Polygon Labs highlights the potential benefits of collaborations in the crypto space.