The report discusses the sudden blocking of an Opensea account due to U.S. sanctions. The account holder was unable to access their account due to alleged violations of Opensea’s terms of service, which were linked to U.S. government-imposed sanctions. The account holder speculates that the ban might have been caused by using Tornado.Cash, a service recently added to the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s sanctions list. Despite the ban, the account holder was still able to trade on other NFT markets and DeFi projects.
Account Blocking Process
- Unexpected account blocking: The account holder found their Opensea account blocked without prior warning, citing violations of terms of service.
- Link to U.S. sanctions: Opensea explained that the blocking was due to U.S. government-imposed sanctions, which the platform, as a U.S. company, is obliged to comply with.
- Unclear specific reason: The account holder was not provided with a specific reason for the ban, leading to speculation about the cause.
Role of Tornado.Cash
- Tornado.Cash and U.S. sanctions: Tornado.Cash was added to the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s sanctions list, prohibiting U.S. individuals and entities from interacting with it.
- Impact on crypto entities: Major U.S. crypto entities, including Opensea, have taken action against Tornado.Cash, leading to account bans.
- Legal proceedings: Tornado.Cash developers and co-founders have faced legal action, including arrests and addition to the sanctions list.
Impact and Implications
- Opensea’s proactive policy: Opensea has taken a proactive and strict control policy, banning addresses that have used Tornado.Cash.
- Limited actual impact: Despite the ban, the account holder was still able to trade on other NFT markets and DeFi projects.
- Advice for users: Users who frequently use Opensea for NFT trading or wish to retain certain usage records should avoid interacting with Tornado.Cash or similar services.
- Understanding platform policies: Users should familiarize themselves with the terms of service of platforms like Opensea to avoid unexpected account blocks.
- Monitoring legal developments: Keeping abreast of legal developments, such as changes to the U.S. sanctions list, can help users avoid potential issues with their accounts.
- Exploring alternative platforms: In case of account blocks, users can explore other NFT markets and DeFi projects that have not implemented similar bans.