The podcast features an interview with BitGo CEO Mike Belshe. The discussion revolves around the current market structure of the crypto industry, the risks involved, the cooldown of the lending market, and the role of BitGo in the industry.
- Market Structure and Risks: The podcast discusses the need for a better understanding of risks in the crypto industry, especially in the context of prime brokerage and lending. The existing crypto market structure cannot sustain any type of reasonable prime brokerage due to pre-funded exchanges all over the planet and the lack of a well-understood risk model.
- Lending Market Cooldown: The lending market in the crypto industry has significantly cooled down due to uncertainties about market risks. The lending market will recover when there are stable, understood risk ways to provide those products and services.
- Crypto’s Opaque Transparency: Despite crypto’s promise of transparency, the industry has been able to obfuscate certain issues, such as a company being secretly insolvent for a year. With better market structure and the use of blockchain technology, the industry can provide oversight and transparency before a failure occurs.
- BitGo’s Role: BitGo sees its future role as providing collateral management and risk monitoring, rather than providing leverage. BitGo’s Go Network, which can handle both fiat and crypto for post-trade settlement, provides a solution to the liquidity problem in the crypto industry.
- Failed Deals: The speaker discusses two failed deals involving BitGo – with Prime Trust and Galaxy Digital. The failure of the Galaxy deal was attributed to regulatory hurdles, while the Prime Trust deal fell through due to the company running out of money.
- Bullish: The speaker is bullish on the potential of blockchain technology to improve transparency and risk management in the crypto industry. He also expresses optimism about the future role of BitGo in the market.
- Bearish: There is a bearish sentiment regarding the current state of the crypto lending market and the risks involved in the crypto industry’s market structure. The speaker also expresses concern about the regulatory hurdles faced by the industry.
- Neutral: The speaker maintains a neutral stance on the overall future of the crypto industry, acknowledging both the potential benefits and challenges.